Sunday, July 29, 2012

What is Herpetic gingivostomatitis??????

Well, I had never heard of this crazy virus before, well actually I had as Herpes Simplex.....but this experience was all new and I could have completely avoided it!!!!!

My wonderful 8 year old decided to share this with me, a week ago last Wednesday he woke up not feeling well. Headache, body aches and just tired. He laid in bed all day. He had no fever and no other complaints...he wasn't that interested in eating or drinking though. By Wednesday evening his throat was hurting, I came home from Zumba to a very sick little boy :(

Thursday morning I took him up to a prompt care for a throat swab, I was certain that he had strep throat, his gums had become splotches as well and he now had a fever. The rapid strep test was negative and so they sent it off to the lab but gave us an antibiotic anyway.....Friday morning came and his tongue was swollen and he had developed sores all over his mouth, he was in tears. I called the pediatrician in a panic they made us an appointment for that afternoon and hoped that his strep results would be back by then.

He was diagnosed with this Herpetic gingivostomatiitis which is a virus, but they did give him an antiviral medicine and some magic mouth was that helped take the pain away....as we were leaving my throat started to hurt, I was like you have got to be kidding me, this is not happening. By the time I got home and took the boys to their dad's for the weekend (and yes there was drama there about not wanting the sick kids around the baby.....again you gotta be kidding me) I had a fever and body aches....so off to the prompt care I went.

My rapid strep test was negative as well so the doctor treated me for the same virus that my son had, on Sunday morning I get a call as I am feeling like crap from my ex husband that he thinks my other son is coming down with it as well. I started to give him the number for the after hours clinic because they would be able to call him in a prescription, and he informs me that he can't take him anywhere if they want to see him, you have got to be friggin kidding me....

So off to their dad's house I go to pick up the boys, I call after hours and start getting asked all the questions that I don't have the answer too...yes their father should have been doing all this....my dad and I end up taking my 5 year old to the ER because they are worried about dehydration he wasn't drinking anything!

As I am in the ER the lab calls about my strep test and I do have it as well, my weekend just keeps getting better and better!!!!! So we get home and get the boys situated and I end up crashing out, I felt like garbage.

Monday was spent fighting with the Dr.'s office to get a prescription called in for my strep, I am allergic to penicillin which is a pain in the butt....so finally they get ethuromycin three times a day for 10 days. By Wednesday I was puking constantly and had horrible stomach pain....I ended up in the ER at 4 am. Thursday, this is a side effect of the antibiotic, while my children were feeling better, I felt like a mach truck had hit me!!!!!

The zofran and pain meds did help get me over the side effects, I was started on a new antibiotic and have ended up with a yest infection which is now better, I think that we have bleached, Lysol, and disinfected the entire house.

This virus never needs to visit our house again! I am glad that I feel better finally!!!!! Hope everyone else had a great week. I did lose 6 pounds during this period of time. It's back to Zumba tomorrow and it will hurt and maybe kill me, I can not wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment