Friday, August 24, 2012

It's The First Week of School

I am sorry that I haven't written in awhile we had an eventful and emotional end to our summer. While most parents are looking forward to school starting, I am one of the rare ones that tends to dread it. I enjoy having my boys home with me and spending time with them. While I want them to both grow up and be smart intelligent men, I also just want to keep them as mommy's boys! :)

School started on Monday and yes it was a FULL day......can you believe this? How dare they make these kids go for a full day on the first day of school, especially the kindergartners. My 5 year old hasn't been gone from me for that long other then the weekends he is at his dad's, but you get my point. So I got up at 5:30 on Monday and showered and got all ready and headed out to the kitchen where I prepared amazing food for my two little monsters.....
Yummy pancakes, one with peanut butter....he takes after his momma :) The other one I sneaked some butter on cause lets face it the kid doesn't get enough fat in his diet! Then the glorious bacon.....mmmmmmmmm I wish my mom had made this for me when I was a kid, but I was lucky to get a cold bowl of cereal :)

So we did our morning routine and the boys got all dressed and ready for school. When it was time to go out and wait for the bus however, Cole melted down. Yes this is that autism poking it's head into my perfect morning....but that is ok, because I was prepared. After some cuddling from me and hearing the school bus approach he was ready to go. He got on the bus like a big boy with the help of his brother. I then headed up to school with my parents to wait for their arrival. Routine is very big for autistic kids and they don't like to deviate or else I would have just taken them on their first day.

Cole got off the bus like a champ.....Adam however had both book bags and both lunch boxes and Cole's hand trying to direct him to his kindergarten line while the principal helped. Yes that is right, the Principal at our school is outside EVERY morning to great the kids and help the "special" ones and lets face they are ALL special to the right spot. I love that man! We waited with Cole while both his teachers made their way down the line introducing themselves.....we tried to get a picture but Cole wasn't all that cooperative....
He looks so sad....they then headed in and the Principal took his hand helping him and said mom, we will see you in the library for coffee....and that was that. My child was on his own so to speak and I was heart broken. I am familiar around the school since Adam is in 3rd grade.....and some of the mom's were very supportive as well as the teachers it was very comforting....

This is my 3rd grader....
So after all my stress about how Cole would do, he has had an awesome week! He is my big boy and I am so proud of him....Adam is doing great and loves his teacher who is in the picture above with him. I have high hopes for both of them this year and know that with the support of this amazing school they both can become great students!



No comments:

Post a Comment